TikTok was the most downloaded app of 2021, with 656 million downloads. That’s more than 100 million downloads ahead of Instagram, which was only downloaded 545 million times. On the other hand, Instagram has 1.22 billion active users as of this blog post, whereas Tiktok just recently hit a billion users.
In a world where social media is king, it can be hard to decide which platform is best for your business. Instagram and TikTok are two of the most popular social media platforms today, but which one is better for your brand? In this blog post, we’ll compare and contrast Instagram and TikTok to help you decide which platform is right for you.
Instagram Reels VS TikTok
Unlike YouTube, TikTok and Instagram Reels are competing against each other for those precious micro-moments that can create significant impacts, AKA short-form videos.
Instagram Reels is a new feature that was introduced in 2020. The app itself has been around for far longer and so understandably has more monthly active users than TikTok. Instagram is the birthplace of influencer marketing, and content producers have flourished their followings by doing paid advertising there.
TikTok, on the other hand, is a stand-alone app that was launched in 2016. The app is entirely devoted to short-form videos and its users spend more than 850 minutes on the app every month. The topics covered on the app range from pop culture and cooking, to fashion and everything in between.
What’s the difference?
Here are some of the key differences between Instagram Reels and TikTok:
- Instagram Reels is integrated into the Instagram app, while TikTok is a stand-alone app.
- You can now make up to 10-minute videos with TikTok, whereas Instagram Reels only allows you to record 15-second, 30-second, and 60-second videos.
- Users can select from different templates, effects, and filters on TikTok. On the other hand, Instagram’s video-editing capabilities are limited. Before creating a video, consumers must select only from the library of effects.
- TikTok has a wider range of spontaneous content, from lip-syncing and dancing videos to educational content and product reviews, while users are still getting accustomed to making videos on Instagram Reels.
- TikTok Ads are available in a variety of formats, including In-Feed, brand takeovers, hashtags, effects, and other things. Ads on Instagram Reels, on the other hand, are still part of the major campaign run from the ad account.
Which is Better?
Now that we’ve looked at the key differences between these two platforms, let’s answer the question: which one is better for business?
The answer, of course, depends on your business goals. TikTok is the best place to be if you want to reach a Gen Z audience. With over a billion active users, TikTok offers businesses a huge potential customer base. And, because TikTok is all about short-form videos, it’s perfect for businesses that want to produce quick, attention-grabbing content.
On the other hand, if you want to target millennials and post videos that are consistent with your Instagram page aesthetics, you should give Instagram Reels a shot. It is an excellent feature to begin building your following and refreshing your Instagram strategy. With over a billion active users and integration with other popular features like Instagram Stories and Shopping, Instagram offers businesses a lot of ways to connect with their target audience.
So, there you have it! A comparison of Instagram Reels and TikTok. Which platform is better for your business? It depends on your goals. But one thing’s for sure: both platforms offer businesses a great opportunity to reach a wide audience and achieve their goals.
Atilus is a full-service digital agency that can help you navigate the ever-changing world of social media. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you grow your business online.